Coal mining has a long, deep history in West Virginia. While it is an occupation that is inherently dangerous, many serious and catastrophic injuries are preventable. If you or a loved one has suffered coal mining injuries that were preventable, Salango Law, PLLC will hold negligent or reckless parties accountable.
Our Charleston coal mining injuries lawyers understand the complexities involved in this specialized industry. When you need an experienced, knowledgeable attorney to protect your best interests, call Salango Law, PLLC. We will help you secure the compensation that you deserve. To speak with one of our coal mining lawyers, call (304) 342-0512 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.
Why Salango Law, PLLC Is the Representation You Need
The personal injury lawyers of Salango Law, PLLC are highly accomplished in complex litigation and workplace injuries;
- We have recovered over $150 million in settlements and verdicts for our clients
- Attorney Ben Salango has been recognized for his superior litigation skills in personal injury and medical malpractice claims, ranking as one of the “Best Lawyers in America” for ten consecutive years
- Selected in 2019 and 2021 as “Lawyer of the Year”
- Selected for Super Lawyers magazine for the 11th year in a row, an honor less than 5% of attorneys share
Why Seek the Counsel of a Coal Mining Injury Attorney in Charleston?
Our Charleston coal mining injury attorneys can guide injured workers through a complex claims process. In many cases, coal mining injuries are eligible for workers’ compensation. Medical expenses resulting from the accident and some lost wages are covered with workers’ compensation benefits. However, compensation for pain and suffering, loss of future earnings, and other damages typically associated with personal injury claims are not.
When Do Coal Mining Injuries Qualify for a Personal Injury Claim?
Determining Fault In Coal Mining Accident Claims
Coal mining companies are required by West Virginia State Law to ensure miners’ safety.
This may entail;
- Supplying tools and safety equipment
- Providing safety training
- Maintaining and enforcing safety procedures
The manufacturers of industry-specific equipment and machinery follow OSHA obligations and responsibilities.
Equipment and machinery must;
- Be well maintained, no rust or missing seams
- Confirm that all parts are in working condition
What is a third-party claim?
If injuries result from defective equipment or machinery failures, the company that makes the machines may be held liable in a third-party claim.
A third-party claim allows for a standard personal injury suit against someone other than an employer.
Defining Charleston Coal Mining Injuries
At Salango Law, PLLC, our coal mining injury lawyers are familiar with the dangers workers face every day. Employees in the coal mining industry are more likely to be killed by injury or illness than any other industry as a whole.
In an analysis of the United States coal mining industry, the Bureau of Labor Statistics studied data from multiple government sources over three years. The report, “Injuries, Illnesses, and Fatalities,” revealed;
- Fatal coal mining injuries rose in the last reporting year, making up 15% of the total mining sector
- There were 2,300 nonfatal injuries and illnesses reported
The Dangers of Coal Mining in West Virginia
Coal mining is a hazardous occupation with frequent injuries that range from a sprained ankle to the loss of life. It is important to note that while safety regulations and technology have vastly improved rates of injuries and occupational death, there are inherent dangers in coal mining that may continue to cost lives.
Losing a loved one is profoundly devastating and emotionally jarring. In an industry notorious for unsafe conditions, there is no room for negligence. If you have lost a loved one in a coal mining accident due to negligence, a Charleston wrongful death attorney can help you get answers.
At Salango Law, PLLC, our compassionate attorneys handle every wrongful death claim with the care, respect, and sensitivity it deserves. We understand financial compensation cannot alleviate your grief. However, compensation in a wrongful death claim can ease the financial burden often caused by a loved one’s untimely death.
How Are Most Coal Mining Accidents Caused in Charleston?
Coal mining injuries can occur in a number of ways, including;
- Methane explosions
- Falls from heights
- Runaway mine cars
- Firedamp and dust explosions
- Mine fires
- Transport technical failures
- Mechanization technical failures
- Mine-induced seismicity
- Defective machinery, equipment, and tools
- Coal stockpile collapse
- Collapsed roof
- Lack of safety equipment
- Longwall shield collapse
- Blasting related accidents
- Premature blast
West Virginia Cave Collapses in Coal Mining
A cave collapse is one of the most dangerous, catastrophic events that a coal miner can endure. Despite the hazardous nature of coal mining, the anxiety of a cave collapse is among the most notable fears in the industry.
Some of the common causes of cave collapses include;
- Improper use of mining explosives
- Dust explosions
- Earthquakes or mining-induced seismicity
- Pulling pillars
What Are Common Injuries Experienced in Coal Mine Accidents?
Coal mining injuries can be particularly debilitating;
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Paralysis (Quadriplegia and Paraplegia)
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Severe Back and Neck Injuries
- Burn Injuries from Fire, Electrocution, or Chemical Exposure
- Scarring and Disfigurement
- Broken Bones and Fractures
- Crush Injuries and Loss of Limb or Amputations
- Exposure to toxic chemicals
- Severe Nerve or Ligament Damage
Contact Our Charleston Coal Mining Injury Attorneys
If you have suffered injuries in a coal mining accident, contact the personal injury attorneys of Salango Law, PLLC. Our Charleston coal mining injuries lawyers will be able to assess your case and determine if you are entitled to any additional compensation.
We have handled the most challenging and medically complex injury cases on behalf of clients. Coal mining accident claims require a law firm’s full focus, skills, and resources, typically due to the profound impact of catastrophic injuries.
Salango Law, PLLC has cultivated a small network of medical experts over the years. We will connect you to the medical resources you need to fully assess your injuries and gain advice on recovery.
Schedule a free evaluation of your case today and let us fight for your rights by clicking here or calling (304) 342-0512.